Forests area: 300 million ha
Forest owners: > 750,000
Companies (CoC): 18,800
The PEFC logo and labels are globally trusted trademarks. The PEFC ‘green trees’ logo is your assurance that wood-based products – from timber to furniture, packaging to paper – come from sustainable sources.
The label assists businesses, consumers, forest owners and managers, and other stakeholders to identify and promote merchandise and goods from forests that are managed sustainably. Environmental labels allow companies to visibly communicate their commitment to responsible sourcing. This is becoming ever more important as consumers are increasingly conscious of the impact of their buying decisions.
A 2013 Tetrapack survey found that 37% of consumers regularly search for environmental logos on food packaging, with 54% of consumers trusting environmental labels, compared with 37% in 2011. Retailers, brand owners and their packaging suppliers can help meet customer expectations by using packaging from renewable, responsibly-managed and sustainable sources.
You can find the PEFC logo on catalogues, magazines and company literature, on packaging at the supermarket, flooring at the DIY store or copy paper and envelopes in office supply outlets and in many other places as more and more businesses recognise the benefits of the PEFC logo
PEFC uses two labels to denote certified material - the PEFC Certified and the PEFC Recycled labels for on-product use. In addition there is the 'Promoting Sustainable Forest Management' logo for off-product use.
The on-product label indicates that the product contains a minimum of 70% certified material from PEFC-certified forests (PEFC Certified label only). The remaining 30% can either be recycled material or from controlled sources. These controlled sources will have been assessed using PEFC’s Due Diligence System (DDS). Only companies that hold a valid PEFC Chain of Custody certificate can use either the PEFC Certified or PEFC Recycled labels on products.
These companies can use the PEFC label on for example:
Packaging products, individual packaging e.g. stationery, food and drink containers, wrapping and packaging, cartons, crates.
Certified paper products e.g. office papers, greetings cards
Documentation associated with a particular PEFC Certified product, e.g. invoices, envelopes, marketing materials for specific products, e.g. catalogues, brochures, advertisements.
Companies wishing to use the PEFC trademarks must comply with PEFC’s Logo Usage Rules and Requirements. More information can be found in the PEFC Logo Use Toolkit.
Using the logo and label enables certified companies and forest owners to:
• Demonstrate their commitment to sustainable development and corporate social responsibility
• Attract environmentally and socially-minded customers and consumers
• Help generate awareness and demand for products from PEFC-certified forests
• Highlight their engagement with sustainable forest management.
The PEFC logo is trademarked and users must ensure that the logo and label are used accurately and verifiably, and that any claims associated with it are relevant and not misleading.
Only companies and forest owners that have achieved PEFC certification AND have obtained a Logo Usage Licence are allowed to use the PEFC logo and label directly on a product.
Companies and forest owners can now create PEFC labels quickly and easily using the PEFC Label Generator. This easy-to-use and intuitive online tool generates PEFC labels in a matter of minutes and provides everything needed to put a PEFC label on products or promotional materials. The PEFC Label Generator is completely cloud-based and enables you to download the label using no additional software. Click here to find out more
It is imperative that the PEFC logo and label are only used after a logo licence has been obtained from PEFC UK.
Chain of Custody Holders (On/Off Product Use) A logo license number will be issued by PEFC UK after the logo usage contract has been signed. This number is different from an organisation’s certification number, which is issued by the certification body. The licence number should always be used in conjunction with the logo to ensure traceability back to the organisation.
To obtain a logo license number, please contact PEFC UK at firstname.lastname@example.org