The Secretariat is responsible for the day to day management of the organisation. Its functions are described in the Articles of Association (currently in draft format). Additionally, within the scope of the certification system, the PEFC UK secretariat is responsible for:
- Maintaining an up-to-date register and control of all entities using the PEFC logo and ensuring its correct use;
- Verifying the rules for logo use and their conformity with the PEFC Logo Use Rules and, whenever necessary, implementing corrective or preventive actions;
- Maintaining up to date relevant information about the PEFC process, making available and disseminating all the technical knowledge and providing support for the accreditation and standardisation activities.
- Managing the register of certifying bodies and of qualified auditors.
- Reviewing the terms of reference of PEFC UK as required, taking into account alterations in the scope of the PEFC International and/or outcomes in implementation.
- Managing the PEFC requirement for the Notification of accredited Certification Bodies within the UK
- Promoting actions for the dissemination and promotion of PEFC UK, being equally responsible for institutional relations
- Implementing the process of recognition of entities in the scope of the certification system;
- Organising and overseeing training courses for auditors.
As such, the responsibilities of PEFC UK are to:
- Define the accepted indicators of sustainable forest management, according to the specific characteristics of UK forests;
- Define the levels of application of forest management certification
- Establish procedures for certifying the flows of raw material originating from certified forests (chain of custody);
- Establishing and/or recognising guides to good forest practices, and
- Issuing other technical documents to support the application of sustainable forest management.